I am a Software Engineer with experience in both backend and infrastructure. I have built API services, data pipelines, payment processing and monitoring systems, amongst other things.
I am proficient with Go. I also have experience with C++, Ruby and Python.
I have extensive operational experience with PostgreSQL, Redis, RabbitMQ, Docker and Kubernetes. Also, I have dealt with OpenTSDB, Kafka, Grafana, Prometheus, Terraform, gRPC and Ruby on Rails.
I have been in on-call rotations at Viki and Singapore Power.
Singapore Power, SPDigital
Apr 2017 - Current
Senior Software Engineer
SPDigital develops SaaS products for Singapore's biggest electricity utility company. My team works on energy management solutions (tenant billing, anomaly detection and usage optimization).
- Led development of data collection and storage systems for 1000+ time series.
Worked with Go, OpenTSDB, gRPC and Kafka.
- Managed Kubernetes clusters in QA and Production.
- Deployed monitoring for data pipelines' health using Prometheus and Grafana.
Jan 2014 - Mar 2017
Viki streams video-on-demand with subtitles. My team handled the core services (API, streaming, payment, etc) and doubled as SREs.
- Managed subscription system (handling 200k+ paying users),
unified subscription model across Web (via Stripe), Android and iOS.
Worked with Go, Ruby on Rails and PostgreSQL.
- Benchmarked and redesigned edge-services (content API) to scale better (from 500 to 1000 rps).
- Triaged outages and handled recovery for API services, PostgreSQL, Redis, RabbitMQ instances, etc.
- Helped converting backend micro-services to containers (via Docker).
- Golang mentor on Exercism.io.
National University of Singapore
Aug 2009 - Feb 2014
Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Engineering)
Jun 2011 - Jun 2012